Friday, December 07, 2007

Don't mention the War!

I felt terribly old last night when I was putting the boys to bed and the littler of the two - in an obvious delaying tactic* - asked what games I used to play as a kid.

When I mentioned Japs and Commandos, they didn't know who either side were, so I explained and they went to sleep, clearly unimpressed by the racist games of the seventies.

It was only later that I realised that the Second World War was closer to me in time as a five year old than my five year old self is to the present day.

Où sont les neiges d'antan?, and all that...

* Generally the boys ask questions like that, whereas Alex cunningly asks me to explain Stuff from History and Literature.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Liddell said...

Not to mention the timeless classic "Cowboys and Indians". Try tell that one to kids today, they'll wonder why a bunch of dodgy plumbers are shooting at a gang of IT professionals in warm coats.
We're probably nearer to the date of Wounded Knee than they are to...etc...

7:41 am  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

I must try Cowboys and Injuns on the boys - see if they play that. I doubt it somehow though.

If I called it 'Pokemon Battle Cowboys and Injuns' it'd be a different matter...

11:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home