Monday, October 01, 2007

Tell Laura I'm Dead (now with added tomatoes)

When I was walking the dog last night (part of the new get fit regime, doncha know), the shuffle function on my mp3 player threw up these four songs in a row:

Bonnie and Clyde - Mick Harvey
1952 Vincent Black Lightning - Richard Thompson
Sweet William's Ghost - Alasdair Roberts
Signed DC - Love

Three 'Tell Laura I love Her' romantic ballads with the twist of a dead person singing, and one stoned death blues.

So I have to ask, can an mp3 player be depressed?

***

Thankfully I also had episode 1 of the BBC7 debut of Ian Potter - one of the many, many media stars I know through the media of never having spoken to or met, but having typed emails to one another.

It's called No Tomatoes and as it's in 15 minute slices it would give too much away to go into detail, but it was very good and enters my recommended listening charts at a healthy number 3. That's behind Just a Minute (obviously) and That Mitchell and Webb Sound (although it was a close run thing there) but well ahead of things like Space Hacks.

Best line in the show: "Swans...unpopularly believed to give TB to badgers"

Best sketch: The Sooty sketch (even if I'd never heard of Scampi, Sooty's nephew - and now I'm not sure if Ian made him up for the sketch or not. I am clearly not down with the kids*.)

Actually, what it reminded me of most was that Paul Merton show from a few years back in that it was slightly surreal at times, didn't bother putting punchlines on every sketch for the sake of it and made me snort with laughter more than the norm.

A promising start then, and should you wish to catch up on the one you missed this Monday, it's available on Listen Again here **

* No, classickidstv.co.uk confirms that yes, Scampi does exist.
** Just don't listen to The Goldfish Bowl which comes right afterwards because it's rubbish. Seriously. I could write funnier stuff in my sleep.
Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger IZP said...

Fancy entering a road race to finance a wedding- madness, she's well out of it.
I like to think there'll be a collossal depressing/uplifting musical one day weaving all the classic 60s death disc pop songs together- all forbidden love, dreadful driving and a dash of unlikely first person narration.

"Well as they drove off they were crying and nobody knows for sure
If that's why they didn't see... the sign that read detour."

Irresistable.

2:09 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

I'd do a compilation of death discs but those three and that Jan and Dean song are about all I can currently think of.

I'd likely end up sticking other great 60s pop songs on instead. Which might still be good now that i tink abouy it - any compilation with "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" is bound to be a winner.

2:20 pm  
Blogger IZP said...

Terry, Leader of the Pack, Dead Man's Curve as alluded too, erm erm there must be more- maybe it just feels like more.

Oh look http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Grim-Reapers-Greatest-Hits/dp/B000E6ENYE

I'd only gone and forgotten Johnny, Remember Me (ironic, donchathink?)

2:29 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

I was deliberately missing out Leader of the Pack (awful song) but 'Johnny' is fantastic.

I'm sorely tempted to buy that cd, even if it is missing the Richard Thompson track - the best death pop song ever.

2:48 pm  
Blogger Scott Liddell said...

Somehow the mental images of you out walking and "shuffle function" sit well together. A new toy for kids "Mosey-raptor"...

2:58 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Scott: "Somehow the mental images of you out walking and "shuffle function" sit well together. A new toy for kids "Mosey-raptor"..."

Ha, jealousy is a terrible thing.

Prepare - in but a fe wmonths - for the unveiling of Buff Man!

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home