Monday, January 08, 2007

It's a Material World

Did I mention I got tons of stuff for Christmas? Absolutely tons, to the extent that I had a pile approaching the size of the kids'. It was, frankly, ace.

Obviously I'm 37 now and I'm assuming that one day soon I'll suddenly get all grown-up and, like my dad when asked what he'd like for his sixtieth birthday, I'll point at the £8 from Asda t-shirt I'm wearing and say 'this is a nice comfy t-shirt, you could get me another one of them'. But at the moment, I continue child-like in my love of shiny wrapping paper, toys that go bink and big piles of new books.

So what did I get, I hear you ask excitedly?

Let's see, on the book front I got Songs in the Key of Z, the companion book to the double cd of outsider music I got last year, and the latest Terry Pratchett from my parents; the Doctor Who Annual and five of the Big Finish short story collections from J (the only way I'm ever likely to get hold of these, given their price and general quality); and Scott got me the latest Lucifer Box novel by Mark Gattis and Bignall and Day's biography of Terry Nation..

Audio-visually, it was bit of lean year - my lovely mother updated my tatty copy of Grit with a nice new shiny cd and Scott, the generous lad, came through with the Special Edition of The Big Lebowski and that's about all (not that that's not plenty, you understand).

And I also got a ton of Doctor Who related toys and gadgets, including an action man-sized David Tennant from the kids; the toy Tom Baker with K9 that I really wanted when I was 12 but couldn't afford from J's mum; the mini figure Regeneration Pack; TARDIS, K9 and Dalek key-rings; Doctor Who bubble bath; Top Trumps and much more. It's like there's a new series to peak manufacturers' interest or something. Whatever the reason, it apparently makes buying me presents very easy.

Plus, best of all, J got me this, which is now in pride of place above my PC.

Oh, and I got some cash too, with which I bought the Torchwood novels (rubbish series, I know, but the books looked like a better use of the concept, such as it was) and Flashman on the March by George MacDonald Fraser, Britain's greatest living novelist.

All in all, a satisfyingly materialistic Christmas all round*.


* That doesn't make me sound shallow, does it?

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger TimeWarden said...

I got the "Doctor Who Annual" too! I was 47 when I received it and, not having got around to reading it in the fortnight or so since Christmas Day, before turning 48, I can assure you that you never grow out of these things!! Still, it beats "The Beano"... at least this year!!!

12:23 pm  
Blogger SAF said...

Stuart said: "five of the Big Finish short story collections from J (the only way I'm ever likely to get hold of these, given their price and general quality)"

Hey, some of them have my work in them, don't you know ;) Still, to quote Life Of Brian, sounds like you were a 'lucky, lucky bastard' this Christmas :)

On the DW front I had three classic Whos to add to my DVD collection. None of that new-fangled merchandise, but I did get an RC Dalek last year, so can't complain :)

12:47 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

SAF: "Hey, some of them have my work in them, don't you know ;) "

Even that kind of gold can't make up for some of the chaff found in the BF Short Tripes :)

6:25 pm  
Blogger SAF said...

Stuart: "Even that kind of gold can't make up for some of the chaff found in the BF Short Tripes :)"

Heheh. Actually, I think that's the first time I've heard em called Short Tripes - have you gone and coined a phrase there? ;)

9:20 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

SAF: "Actually, I think that's the first time I've heard em called Short Tripes - have you gone and coined a phrase there?"

It was a typo I left in because it seemed so apt :)

11:49 am  
Blogger Scott Liddell said...

What about those fantastically cheesy war movies I got you?!

4:19 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Scott: "What about those fantastically cheesy war movies I got you?!"

True - forgot about them. I also got Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes after an unguarded remark made in December about wanting to see some cheesy old war movies :)

9:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home