Thursday, October 06, 2005

Sore Head

A word of warning - Stuart Ale, whilst tasting fairly weak* (actually, quite watery) and not getting you drunk, leaves you with a thumping headache in the morning, even after only a few pints. It took me all the way to work to shake off the pounding.

Thinking about it, part of the reason for the pounding may have been the Jandek cd I got last night in the pub and which I had on in the car. It's good in a Captain Beefheart or early The Can sort of way**, with basic, slightly wonky blues guitar being man-handled in the background as Jandek sings quite close to the mic at the front. The tracks do tend to wander into one another and the guitar is a bit samey but it may be that the album needs repeated listenings to get more out of it (certainly, the bits of lyrics I figured out on first listen do suggest that there's more in there than just stream of consciousness ramblings). And, unexpectedly, the last track on the album sounds like a White Light White Heat out-take.

* Incidentally, that link features an insane Swede describing the beer as having a "[r]ound buttery flavour with tones of fruit and blue cheese." which is about as far from the truth as you can get. It's beer, for God's sake.

** Edited after a couple more listens to add early Can to the comparison. In fact, it sounds more like a Malcolm Mooney solo album than anything else, but only after Mooney had his break-down. I'm becoming worryingly obsessed by this album, to be honest.
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott Liddell said...

Never could hold his ale.

9:38 am  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

I'm a connoisseur - I do not drink to get drunk. Unlike certain people I could mention, who like nothing better than a bottle of something with the colour and general taste of urine, with a piece of fruit rammed in the end.

Not that I'm saying that's you, mind...

8:25 pm  
Blogger Scott Liddell said...

You will never see my with fruit in my beer bottle, for 2 main reasons:

1. I never put drink beer with fruit in the bottle.
2. I never get you to go to the pub.

Which does lead to the question, how come you go to the pub with other people and drink you 'mad juice' and not with me? Eh? EH?. Judging by your picture I must have known you for at least 40 years now...

Isn't it great having a pointless argument in public? Makes you feel like a mad old jakey...

6:25 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Last time I went out for a drink with you it was to a - as it turns out - non-existent pub quiz.

And I look about 12 in my photo.

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home