Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Andre Norton, 1912-2005

Andre Norton was, so far as I can remember, the first sf/fantasy writer I ever read. Aged about 7, I think, I can distinctly recall going to the mobile library and discovering to my horror that I'd read all of Willard Price's Adventure books and, therefore, had to find something new. Luckily, they had copies of each of Norton's Solar Queen books, and so - starting with Sargasso of Space - I read everything I could find by Ms Norton over the next year or so. And I'm still reading sf and fantasy today.

I haven't read any of the Solar Queen books since I was about 10 but from memory I suspect that they won't hold up so well reading them now, as an adult, as things like Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy or Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House series.

Even so, I think I'll see if I can't pick up a copy on ebay and give them another read.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home