Monday, January 24, 2005

It's like poetry, only you can wear it

For Christmas, my friend Scott made me a t-shirt with a lyric from each of my favourite songs on it in a sort of word-square, which I thought was very sweet (particularly since he's not gay).




Anyway, I have the t-shirt on today and in a sad attempt to avoid fixing our web site I've typed out all the lyrics. Anyone who can name every track wins a bar of personalised chocolate from this site.



  • I’m high as a kite i just might stop to check you out
  • i dreamt about you last night and i fell out of bed twice
  • eating up the scum is the hardest thing for Me to do
  • lick my legs i'm on fire lick my legs of desire
  • but she's not afraid to die all of her friends call her alaska
  • whose car were you driving when it skidded and crashed
  • they've bargained their bodies and their virtue long gone for a few dirty coins
  • pushed around and kicked around always a lonely boy
  • so messed up i want you here and in my room i want you here
  • this is the room the start of it all through childhood through youth i remember it all
  • this is our last embrace must i dream and always see your face
  • i feel trapped by mutual affection and i don't know how to use freedom
  • I'm climbing this ladder, my head in the clouds
  • straighten my new mind's eye
  • lonely is the room, the bed is made, the open window lets the rain in
  • you are just a dreamer, and I am just a dream
  • the wigglin guitars girl, the crash of the drums
  • But my dreams, they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
  • i have pains in my heart, they have taken my appetite
  • your confusion - my illusion, worn like a mask of self-hate, confronts and then dies

 

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

10 Comments:

Blogger alienvoord said...

shame, I don't see any Fall lyrics here.

5:43 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Thinking back, I could have sworn 'Frightened' was on there - but you're right, there's no Fall which is is an unconscionable oversight.

Big question is - can you name the rest :) ?

6:09 pm  
Blogger alienvoord said...

violent femmes - blister in the sun
smiths - reel around the fountain
neil young - like a hurricane

that's all I know.

5:42 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Let's see:

eating up the scum is the hardest thing for Me to do - Jesus and Mary Chain, Just like Honey

lick my legs i'm on fire lick my legs of desire - PJ Harvey, Rid of Me

but she's not afraid to die all of her friends call her alaska - Lou Reed, Caroline Says II

whose car were you driving when it skidded and crashed - Ahem, my own student band, The Creepy Fish

they've bargained their bodies and their virtue long gone for a few dirty coins - David Bowie, Port of Amsterdam

pushed around and kicked around always a lonely boy - Bronski Beat, Smalltown Boy

so messed up i want you here and in my room i want you here - The Stooges, I Wanna be Your Dog

this is the room the start of it all through childhood through youth i remember it all - Joy Division, Day of the Lords

this is our last embrace must i dream and always see your face - Jeff Buckley, Last Goodbye

i feel trapped by mutual affection and i don't know how to use freedom - The Fall, Frightened (I KNEW THEY WERE THERE SOMWHERE]

I'm climbing this ladder, my head in the clouds - Neil Young, Borrowed Tune

straighten my new mind's eye - Nick Drake, Northern Sky

lonely is the room, the bed is made, the open window lets the rain in - Jeff Buckley, Lover You Should've Come Over

the wigglin guitars girl, the crash of the drums - The MC5, Kick out the Jams

But my dreams, they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be - The Who, Behind Blue Eyes

i have pains in my heart, they have taken my appetite - Robert Johnson, Stones in My Passway

your confusion - my illusion, worn like a mask of self-hate, confronts and then dies - Joy Division, Atmosphere

6:38 pm  
Blogger Scott Liddell said...

Actually i have pains in my heart, they have taken my appetite was actually from the cover of same by the Weather Prophets...

No Fall, sheesh, someone's always on my tracks...

8:09 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Scott: "Actually i have pains in my heart, they have taken my appetite was actually from the cover of same by the Weather Prophets..."

Was it buggery. That's Robert Johnson (the greatest songwriter of all time) and his best song, that is.

I wouldn;t hang roudn to watch the Westher Propherts even if I'd bought tickets and just spent two hours watching the crap support bands...

9:18 pm  
Blogger Scott Liddell said...

I think you'll find that The Weather Prophets version is actually pretty good. And you should have stayed, I got off with two Bulgarian twins, you could have had one...

9:41 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

The Weather Prophets version won't be a patch on the genius of the original - it's about impotency, you know.

Which brings me neatly to you and the Bulgarian twins...

9:57 pm  
Blogger alienvoord said...

guess I need to stop listening to Unutterable and brush up on my old Fall.

11:01 pm  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

alienvoord:"guess I need to stop listening to Unutterable and brush up on my old Fall."

Everyone knows the old stuff is the best :)

1:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home